[rr-fs] Re: [Irtf-rr] New subgroup being formed

Dmitri Krioukov dima at caida.org
Mon Mar 8 19:40:39 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 01:28:05PM -0800, Dmitri Krioukov wrote:

> > 3) Will there be any consideration to the policy aspects of routing
> >    currently in use? The policy needs certainly seem to affect message
> >    size,routing table absolute size in terms of memory usage and
> >    computational power.
>
> as far as i know, policy aspects will be handled in a
> different subgroup. at this point, it's an issue separable
> from the fundamental scalability aspects of routing
> (for fundamental aspect of policy routing, please see
> tim griffin's works). at later stages, these two
> efforts should be coordinated, of course...

Just so I am clear (and forgive me if this too pedantic) you are interested
in the routing algorithim and the basic protocol to get the information
to the routing algorithim BUT not (at this point) policy route selection.

I mention this because in the intro you mention BGP which to my mind
encompasses
a protocol, a routing algorthim and some pieces of policy enabling. Later
you are only using the term routing algorithms  which is only one piece of
this.  Again if all of this is clear to everyone but me just tell to move
along :)

Brad