[rr-fs] RE: [Irtf-rr] New subgroup being formed

Dmitri Krioukov dima at caida.org
Mon Mar 8 19:40:03 PST 2004

brad,

please see below.

thanks,
--
dima.
http://www.caida.org/~dima/

ok.

> 2) Goal 2 - construction of realistic ("explanatory") Internet topology
>    evolution models (topology generators) - is this looking at
> things at the
>    AS level, for purposes of generalizing the building blocks that make
>    up the Internet or something else?

yes, it's at the as-level. the reason the topo research
is in the charter is that the performance of a routing
algorithm is a function of the network topology. so,
if we do not know the internet topology well enough,
then we might be wrong saying that a pre-selected
routing algorithm will perform well in the internet.

> 3) Will there be any consideration to the policy aspects of routing
>    currently in use? The policy needs certainly seem to affect message
>    size,routing table absolute size in terms of memory usage and
>    computational power.

as far as i know, policy aspects will be handled in a
different subgroup. at this point, it's an issue separable
from the fundamental scalability aspects of routing
(for fundamental aspect of policy routing, please see
tim griffin's works). at later stages, these two
efforts should be coordinated, of course...

> 4) Is this strictly for EGP type protocols or will you be looking at IGP's
>    as well?  If just EGP types will you be looking at the uses of the EGP
>    as an IGP or its interaction with an IGP as a criteria.

this is not a requirement, but yes, i think it would beneficial
(in some sense :) if the end result would look like egp = igp + policies.