[Scamper-dev] scamper notes draft 2

Bradley Huffaker bhuffake at caida.org
Thu May 20 12:10:22 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 08:52:18AM -0700, Bradley Huffaker wrote:
> > 2. perhaps another idea is to allow scamper to have a control socket
> > [properly authenticated depending on socket domain, of course] which
> > would allow for rudimentary monitoring of the scamper process outside of
> > the machine, as well as control tasks such as feeding scamper addresses.
>
> This could be an option, but the problem is that in some locations we are
> lucky to have the to box and ssh and it is unlikely we could get another
> socket.  The best solution would be to have the option of List Manager as
> either local or remote.  A Remote manager would require a longer command
> queue to handle network losses.

After thinking about it I think it would be better to keep the List Manager
on the monitor.  We can leave open the opition for the List Manager to
communicate with some remote server.  If the List Manager is local the PIPE
can be the Command Queue so scamper doesn't actually need to keep a local
copy.

I also think it might be a good idea to have the prober be able to read
commands from a file with either a command in the file or a config option
to have it loop over the file.

--
Bradley Huffaker        Terrorism is the price of Liberty
CAIDA/SDSC/UCSD         Tyranny   is the price of Security