[Scamper-dev] scamper notes draft 2

Bradley Huffaker bhuffake at caida.org
Thu May 20 08:52:18 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:50:13PM +1200, Matthew Luckie wrote:
> 1. in the case where scamper has an address A from list L1 in the active
> list and then the list manager passes the same address A to scamper from
> list L2, does scamper duplicate the trace output?  i thought this was
> the idea a few days ago, but the implementation of the hold list seems
> to suggest otherwise.  or i'm not understanding.

We decided that this was nice, but not required, since to work
both L1 and L2 and IP Command1 and IP Command2 must have the same options.
If this is the case we could provide an optimization that would have
scamper remeber that it needs to print out the IP A twice with the
different CycleID and ListId.  It isn't a requirement so much as an
optimization.

> 2. perhaps another idea is to allow scamper to have a control socket
> [properly authenticated depending on socket domain, of course] which
> would allow for rudimentary monitoring of the scamper process outside of
> the machine, as well as control tasks such as feeding scamper addresses.

This could be an option, but the problem is that in some locations we are
lucky to have the to box and ssh and it is unlikely we could get another
socket.  The best solution would be to have the option of List Manager as
either local or remote.  A Remote manager would require a longer command
queue to handle network losses.

> 3. perhaps XML to communicate addresses and cycles to scamper.  having
> never used libxml before, perhaps i am just talking garbage.  but the
> thought of being able to communicate the tests (traceroute / pmtu / src
> routing) and the method (icmp echo / udp / tcp syn) per address seems
> attractive.

I don't know anything about it.  I am not opposed at this point.  If you
have any ideas about the List Manager structor let us know before the
meeting next Thursday so we can include them in our meeting.

--
Bradley Huffaker        Terrorism is the price of Liberty
CAIDA/SDSC/UCSD         Tyranny   is the price of Security