[Graph-dev] Chart-Graph-2.0 - gnuplot question

David Moore dmoore at caida.org
Mon Jan 10 11:14:28 PST 2005

Octavi Fors <ofors at am.ub.es> writes:

> this is the kind of gnuplot script I normally use for generating a
> multiplot in batch mode:

The current code doesn't support multiplot mode in a way that is nice,
unfortunately.

If someone has a suggestion on what a good interface would look like,
that'd be great to discuss.  One thing that's a little strange with
multiplot is that you want some "global" options to be set differently
for each plot, and some generically globally.

I guess one thought would be something like:

gnuplot_multi(\%global_options,
              [ \%plot_set1_options,
                [ \%data_set_options, \@matrix],
                ... ],
              [ \%plot_set2_options,
                [ \%data_set_options, \@matrix],
                ... ],
              [ \%plot_set3_options,
                [ \%data_set_options, \@matrix],
                ... ],
              ... );

Where the plot_set_options are similar to global options, but you
wouldn't set things like the output file/type and such.

Note that using the `extra_opts' global option is a good way to make
gnuplot do a bunch of things currently not explictly supported in
chart::graph, but wouldn't work to solve this problem.

-- david