[Coral-dev] \Re help data collection

yordanos@cs.ucr.edu yordanos at cs.ucr.edu
Fri Jan 26 18:19:22 PST 2007

Hi all,

I have recently started using coralReef and want to get some advice on
hardware requirement of our traffic collection project.

So far we have been using coralreef with 1GB standard Ethernet interface
to capture inbound traffic from PC's connected to a switch. We used port
mirroring to copy all the traffic to one port.

In the future we want to capture outbound traffic from our department that
reaches up to 10 GB. All the traffic is aggregated at a Cisco catalyst
6509. It has four 10 GB ethernet modules and one of the ports is free so
we can use it to copy traffic from other ports for our purpose. I want to
know if there is any hardware that would enable us to capture this amount
of traffic.

Besides, I want to share my observation when I used crl_to-pcap with -l4
option. I was expecting all the payload to be removed but I do see unknown
protocols with some data. I didn't use -k option. When I added a filter to
capture tcp/udp/icmp packets only, the unknown pkts removed so I have
clean trace without payload.

I appreciate your help in advance.

Best,
Yordanos G.