[kino] Revenge of George Lucas

Dmitry Karpeyev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 26 06:55:51 PDT 2005

As a counterweight to George Lucas I suggest the National Geographic
documentary "Extraterrestrial" (airing Monday, May 30th, a day after the French "Non"
vote).  The film features life on other planets.  There are giant whale-like flying
creatures and wasp-like social flying thingies that prey on the flying
whales.  These "wasps" every now and then get stuck in the tentacles of
a giant jellyfish hanging off a tree, and so on.  The shape and
behavior of these imaginary critters is based on the expected conditions
on these planets.  For this reason one of the creators of the
"documentary" called this vision of extraterrestrial life "scientific" as opposed to
what Lucas dreamt up.