[kino] Revenge of George Lucas

Vijay Samalam samalam at sdsc.edu
Wed May 25 16:06:36 PDT 2005

George Lucas has puzzled me for a long time. I liked the first star wars
movie. It did not take itself seriously at all which is absolutely
important for a movie where there are lines like "May the force be with
you". You cannot say such lines with a straight face. The only way you
can do it is with a wink and a jab with the elbows. And he made tons of
money with that movie. So it has always been a mystery to me why he has
then continued to inflict us with the horrible sequels finally
culminating in the latest atrocity. If you do not provide humor then you
must provide good dialogue, superior acting, and a plot that is not
meant for retarded two year olds. I was thinking of suitable ways of
expressing my scorn and contempt for the whole genre when who should do
it for me (and with such erudition and wit too ) than Anthony Lane of
the New Yorker. So for your reading pleasure please see the link below.
It expresses my feelings exactly.

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/050523crci_cinema

Vijay K Samalam

Executive Director