[Walrus-dev] questions from a newbie

Bruno Conductier bruno.conductier@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:27:40 +0100

Hi, I've download Walrus and run the demos. It's really impressive but
I have some questions to ask about Walrus to be sure that I'm not
planning to use this product in a wrong scenario.

5/6 years ago I use a Java profiler hyperprof that use hyperbolic
graphs to visualize performance datas. this simple tool was a good
proof of concept.

now I'm working with application server and I've in mind the use
of Walrus to visualize/monitor/manage the JMX MBeans of the server.
these MBeans are essentially organized against a simple hierarchical
tree. But the graph could change over the time. Some members could
change in the cluster, some new applications could be deployed, some
components could change their status (running, stopped, ...).

So my first question is about the capacity of Walrus to deal with
dynamic datas. Can I expect to be able to add some new datas or
remove old one ? I supposed so since I notice a MutableGraph class
in the libsea.jar ...

Next, do I have control on the appearance of the nodes ? In particular
can I change dynamically the shape of the color of one node ?

Finally, the archive that I download doesn't contain any javadoc for
Walrus API. Does it mean that Walrus is a standalone application and
not also a tool library ? From my point of view many potential
applications
need a simple graph view and will construct the graph from other
memory datas rather than static files.

Thanks for any information.

Bruno