[Walrus-dev] Having trouble.

Young Hyun youngh@caida.org
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:47:20 -0700 (PDT)

On 2 Jun 2002, Jamie Nelson wrote:

> Linux machine.  I have both the 1.3.1 and 1.4 versions of the Sun j2re
> and j2sdk installed.  I have installed the Blackdown
> java3d-re-1.2.1_03-fcs-linux in the j2re and the Blackdown
> java3d-sdk-1.2.1_03-fcs-linux in the j2sdk.  I have the Blackdown Java3d
> environment installed in both the Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.0 environments.

I'm not familiar with the Blackdown releases of Java, but with Sun's, you
don't need to install both the runtime ('re') and the SDK ('sdk')
packages.  The latter contains the runtime.  If you don't need to compile
any Java sources, then you only need to install the runtime.  Similarly
you only need to install one of the Java3D packages.

> [root@ether walrus-0.6]# ./walrus
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> mp/jar:antlrall-mod/jar:libsea/jar:walrus/jar
>         at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:native)

In the error message, dots have been converted to forward slashes.  This
suggests that the 'java' command is interpreting the CLASSPATH parameter
as a class name.  This might happen if there is a 'java' command in your
path that doesn't understand the '-cp' option.  Try 'whereis java', 'type
java', or 'locate java' to see a list of all executables named 'java' in
your PATH.  I suspect the wrong executable is being picked up.

 --Young