[Graph-dev] How do you disable the cache in Chart::Graph::Gnuplot?

Sendu Bala sb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 8 06:17:03 PST 2008

I'm using Chart::Graph::Gnuplot 3.2 with gnuplot 4.2.2 (but I think the
same problem applies to 4.0.0).

Basically there seems to be some hidden cache or cache-like behaviour
where sometimes when you have output a graph with a certain 'output
file' name, all subsequent graphs output with the same file name will be
the first graph, instead of the newer graph. This is even the case from
a different perl call, and having deleted the output graph in between.

How can I force Chart::Graph::Gnuplot to always generate a new plot
regardless of the filename?

I haven't been able to reproduce this with new filenames, but it's a
persistent problem with some filenames I've already used. There's
nothing special about those filenames, eg 'plots/gene_size_plot.png'. I
can't now create any new graphs with that filename!

If you could just tell me all possible places or mechanisms
Chart::Graph::Gnuplot (or gnuplot) could have for retaining data I can
then delete that data and stop being haunted by old graphs!

Thank you,
Sendu.