[Coral-dev] Cannot anonymize

Ken Keys kkeys at caida.org
Mon Jun 21 11:02:40 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 03:59:12PM -0400, Jeff Terrell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to anonymize a pcap trace with the Crypto-PAn anonymizer
> that's built in to CoralReef. ?However, whenever I try it, it tells
> me, "anonymize is not allowed".
>
> Here's the command I'm using:
>
> $ ./apps/utils/crl_trace -Canonymize=cryptopan,keyfile=secret -r trace.pcap
>
> To which crl_trace replies, "anonymize is not allowed", followed by
> the usage screen (which lacks any mention of anonymize or anon).
> Various shortcuts ("-Canon=configure", "-Canon") result in the same
> output from crl_trace.
>
> I'm using a freshly compiled CoralReef, version 3.8.6. ?The output
> from configure included this line:
>
> checking linking C++ from C (for Crypto-PAn)... ok (by linking with
> /usr/bin/g++ -DHAS_BOOL)
>
> Can somebody please help me get the -Canon feature to work?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> -Jeff T.

crl_trace doesn't support anonymization, but that's not the app you want
anyway.  You want crl_to_pcap.  (The "to_pcap" part signifies the output
format.  The input format can be anything coral can read; inputting and
outputting the same format is useful if you want to filter or modify the
packets.)  For example:

crl_to_pcap -Canonymize=cryptopan,keyfile=secret -o out.pcap in.pcap

--
Ken Keys
kkeys at caida.org
CoralReef:  http://www.caida.org/tools/measurement/coralreef/