[Coral-dev] Large File Support and EOVERFLOW

David Rosal david.rosal at upf.edu
Thu May 18 02:23:57 PDT 2006

Hello.

Peter Van Epp wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 08:31:47AM -0700, David Moore wrote:

> 	Since I haven't seen any other answers float by, some operating systems
> need special flags to get large (> 2 gig) file support enabled. Linux appears
> to be one of them since I have a linux machine with the ntop ring buffer code
> installed that blows up on a tcpdump at 2 gigs (and so far we haven't found
> the right bits to recompile with large file support :-)). As noted FreeBSD
> (where I usually run) does it by default. If you like I can look at the config
> file for argus and see what it looks at to see if large file support needs
> special flags which may give you a pointer.

I also had large file problems with tcpdump in Linux, and I
fixed them by passing these flags to the compiler:

-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE

and replacing calls to ftell() and fseek() to ftello() and
fseeko(). There's also another minor tweak in tcpdump.

I attach the patches for tcpdump-3.9.4 and libpcap-0.9.4.
If someone finds a bug or an enhancement to these patches please
let me know.

BTW: I have another patch for tcpslice-1.1a3, that makes it
compilable under Linux. If someone's interested I'll be pleased
to share it.

*David